Here's to Great Burgers and Fries, down with the rest!

Friday, February 5, 2010

Return to Kuma's..........2010

Having declared Kuma's Corner the best Chicago Burger for 2009, I thought I better swing by to see how 2010 is shaping up.

I had hopes that by going in mid afternoon I could avoid the wait; think again. As I rolled up Belmont the site I sought to avoid, appeared. People waiting outside of Kuma's. Oh well, at least I found a parking spot quickly.

Pushing my way thru the crowds at the door, I tried scoping a single seat at the bar, as the wait for a table was still over an hour. No luck, and I was  then outmaneuvered when the first seats opened up. Thankfully, a seat opened up for me about 15 minutes later.

As I sat down it two things struck, people don't appear to eat and run here, and it is in fact a Tavern as much as a restaurant. Despite being so crowded, it has a pretty mellow vibe and I'm far from a heavy metal enthusiast. My spirits began to lift a bit, on yet another dreary Chicago winter day.

I was given a menu by the bartender, and after a quick chat, she recommended one of the Draft Beer's, which I enjoyed. Now to peruse the menu, all the choices of combinations and creations. What I really like is at the bottom of the menu, it plainly states what their cooking temps are setting the standard's beyond a question of doubt. My favorite, Medium rare is clearly stated as being, pink and a little red in the center.

For the purposes of Chicago Burger and Fries, I will limit my selections to a cheese burger and onions, adding a couple of condiments only (mainly ketchup). I want the burger to be the star, to make my judgements more focused.

I order a burger with cheddar cheese and  raw onion. The bartender responded with a pout, encouraging me to build the burger from their generous array of additional ingredients available, however I resist. I also order the waffle fries, as no french fries are on the menu.

The burger arrives about 15 minutes later, a tall, huge 10 ounce affair, hot and literally dripping cheddar cheese. I think when it lands in front of me "worth the wait". I add some ketchup and the slice of raw red onion, and take my first bite. Delicious, I continue eating at a fast clip, because I'm really hungry and it's really good. I force myself to slow down and survey the situation. I hold the burger at eye level and just as stated, perfectly medium rare. I continue eating it, savoring the moment. Big meaty, beefy flavor, mixed with just a little fatty juice trickling out. From the first bite to the last, this burger is pure enjoyment, almost sensual. Upon finishing I was both seriously stuffed and happy.


The waffle fries are a different story. I am not a huge fan of the waffle fry to begin with, however Kuma's are decent. Not undercooked, but not completely golden brown either. The portion of fries is average, and  I ate them all. It easy to say that the waffle fries, unfortunately, do not measure up to the lofty position of the burger.

The Damage:

Cheese Burger and waffle fries $10.00
1 Alpha King Beer $ 5.00

Not cheap, but great value for both the food and experience!

Ratings:( out of 4****)

Burger 4**** Fries 2**

1 comment:

  1. What is it with Chicago places that have one and two hour waits? For Christ's sake, build a bigger place, already.

    That burger would have to be filled with gold and $20 bills for me to wait for two hours for it!

    ReplyDelete