Here's to Great Burgers and Fries, down with the rest!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Downtown Dogs..........Downhill

I was running around the Gold Coast and hunger struck. I had only a little time so I needed to stay in the area before a meeting. Although it's been many years, an old and delicious stand bye, once a Wiener Circle - Poochies clone, was the obvious choice. A smaller version than the original Downtown Dogs is now located at 804 N. Rush street.

What a mistake. I should have turned around as soon as I saw the dreaded brown bag of frozen fries hoisted over the fryer. Things have certainly changed and much for the worse. It was no longer a bastion of great Chicago style food, but a shining example  typical of many of  today's Hot Dog joints, no soul or motivation for putting out a great tasting product. After a observing what was going on food wise behind the service counter I opted for a Dog and fries instead of a Burger.

My food unfortunately arrives within seconds, another ominous sign. I sit in one of the stools lining the counter in this tight space, and notice the tortuous sound of an untuned radio station playing mainly static on their so called sound system.

Dog and fries arrive. Although the place was not busy it was slapped together in seconds. Limp fries a pale white color and tasteless after sitting in the fry tray under lights for who knows how long. The dog was sad with all our famous condiments strewn on top and puddled in the middle. I have not seen tomato's sliced that thin ever. A big disappointment and waste of calories!

Downtown Dogs is a shining example of why I have taken on this assignment. These mundane, sad places need to be avoided at all cost.

The Damage:
Hot Dog      $ 3.15
French Fries   1.90

Ratings: ( out of 4****)
0*

No comments:

Post a Comment